- 90 g butter, at room temperature
- 90 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Red food colouring
- 150 g strawberry jam
- 1 basic buttercream icing recipe
- Red icing pen
- 12 round jellies with holes in the centres
- 12 small black sweets
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Fold in the flour and stir through the milk and lemon zest.
- Add half of the batter to a separate bowl and stir through a few drops of red food colouring until bright.
- Fill each muffin cup with half of the plain batter, then top off with the red batter. Use a skewer to swirl the two in each cup.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place the strawberry jam into a piping bag with a small, firm nozzle. Insert the tip into the top of the cupcakes and pipe the jam into the centre.
- Prepare the basic buttercream icing and spread over the cooled cupcakes, making a smooth dome shape so it is highest in the centre.
- Use the red icing pen to make zig-zag lines from the centre out to the edges. Place the round jellies in the middle and one of the small, black candies in their centres.
- Per Serving 272kcals, 9.5g fat (4.9g saturated), 44.3g carbs, 25.7g sugar, 2.1g protein, 0g fibre, 0.091g sodium
Per Serving 272kcals, 9.5g fat (4.9g saturated), 44.3g carbs, 25.7g sugars, 2.1g protein, 0g fibre, 0.091g sodium