2 tbsp Cajun spice
1 tsp lemon juice
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
100g chorizo, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and black pepper
230g long-grain rice
550ml chicken stock
Spring onions, chopped
Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the Cajun spice, lemon juice and just enough olive oil to form a loose paste. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan or casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Cook the chorizo for 2-3 minutes until it releases its oil. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Place the chicken thighs into the same pan, skin side-down. Sear for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the plate with the chorizo. Use a ball of kitchen paper to wipe out any blackened bits from the pan.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add a splash of oil. Cook the onion, jalapeño and celery for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the cayenne pepper and chilli flakes, if using. Season and stir to combine.
- Add the rice and chicken stock and stir together. Allow to simmer for one minute.
- Nestle the chicken thighs and chorizo on top of the rice (pour in the juices that are left on the plate as well). Return to a simmer, then cover and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 20-25 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions and chopped parsley to serve.
609kcals, 32.7g fat (11.1g saturated fat), 50g carbohydrates, 1.9g sugars, 27.8g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.909g sodium