Makes 1 large or 3 small cakes
115g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
A pinch of salt
130g plain flour (or use plain gluten-free flour), sifted
75ml low fat milk
3 tsp baking powder
100g walnuts, chopped
500g apples (Pink Lady or Granny Smith), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 22cm round cake tin and set aside.
- Place the eggs, 100g of the sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat until well combined.
- Add the chopped walnuts and two thirds of the apples to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Transfer the batter to the prepared tin.
- Arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the batter and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Per serving: 173kcals, 5.9g fat (0.6g saturated), 27.7g carbs, 16.1g sugars, 4.4g protein, 2.4g fibre, 0.029g sodium