For the tartare sauce:
6 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp capers, drained
1 gherkin, finely chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
For the fish:
80g plain flour
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 x 120g pieces of white fish, such as hake, cod, pollock or coley
4 burger buns, lightly toasted if desired
Pickled gherkins, sliced
Red onion, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the tartare sauce and stir together. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. Beat the egg in a separate shallow dish and place the breadcrumbs in a third.
- Dredge each fish fillet in the flour, then dip into the egg, shaking off any excess. Finally, coat them in breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs on to coat the fish thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the breaded fish for 4-5 minutes per side or until completely cooked.
- Assemble the fish burgers on burger buns using the tartare sauce, lettuce, tomato, gherkins, red onion and fish. Serve with potato wedges.
572kcals, 13.2g fat (2.1g saturated), 71.2g carbs, 6.2g sugars, 40.2g protein, 3.4g fibre, 0.839g sodium