TIP: A mandolin is a perfect tool for creating very thin, even slices of courgette and onion.
- 500g courgettes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 500ml cider vinegar
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ dried chilli flakes, crumbled
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Place the courgettes and onion in a bowl and sprinkle over the salt. Cover with cold water and refrigerate for one hour.
- Drain thoroughly and pat dry using kitchen paper.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the courgettes and onion until coated. Transfer to sterilised jars and keep, refrigerated, for up to two months.
Per Serving 24kcals, 0.1g fat (0g saturated), 5.4g carbs, 4.8g sugars, 0.3g protein, 0g fibre, 0.04g sodium