225g Irish butter, plus extra for greasing
Pinch of salt
110g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C/gas mark 3. Lightly grease a baking tray with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine together the butter, salt and sugar. Cream together using an electric mixer for 6-8 minutes until light, fluffy and pale.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and cornflour.
- Sift the flour mixture into the bowl of butter and sugar. Mix quickly and thoroughly to combine together, but do not over mix.
- Transfer the mixture onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly and quickly into a loose dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1cm thick. Prick the surface all over with a fork and then use a floured pastry cutter or a knife to cut into your desired shape.
- Place the shortbreads on the prepared baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle the warm shortbreads with a little extra sugar and allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight tin.
380kcals, 22.1g fat (7.8g saturated), 29.1g carbs (2.5g sugars), 14.8g protein, 0.2g fibre, 0.327g sodium