- 2 x 400g tins of black beans, drained
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, small diced with stems and gills removed first
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 120g breadcrumbs
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried coriander
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 slices of cheese (optional)
- 6 burger buns or baps
- Taco sauce
- Place half of the beans in a medium bowl and mash until smooth. Add the remaining whole black beans along with the mushrooms, onions, baby spinach, egg whites, breadcrumbs, garlic, cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, salt, and pepper. Use clean hands to mix everything together until well combined, then let the mixture sit for five minutes.
- Form the mixture into 6 burger patties.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side. When almost ready, add a slice of cheese to each burger, if desired, and let it melt.
- Place the patties on buns and serve with taco sauce, lettuce and tomato slices.
Per serving: 722kcals, 10.6g fat (2.1g saturated), 121.8g carbs, 7.7g sugars, 37.9g protein, 22g fibre, 0.428g sodium
TOP TIP: Black beans can be found in specialty and health food shops. If you can’t find them, just use pinto beans or mixed beans instead.