2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½cm slices
4 tbsp brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Plain flour, for dusting
1 x 320g sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced apples and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another five minutes until the apples are soft and caramelised.
- Dust the work surface lightly with flour and roll out the puff pastry to flatten slightly. Cut the pastry in half lengthwise down the centre to make two equal rectangles. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray and place one of the pastry rectangles on top.
- Arrange the apples in a tight row lengthwise down the middle of the pastry sheet, leaving a 2cm border on all sides. Pour the remaining syrup from the apples over the top of the apples. Brush the beaten egg around the border of the pastry. Top with the second pastry sheet and press down all around the edges to seal.
- Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut 5-6 slits down the centre of the pastry.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle generously with brown sugar. Bake for 16-18 min or until golden brown. Serve with ice cream.
438kcals, 29.3g fat (10.5g saturated), 40.6g carbs, 14g sugars, 5.1g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.203g sodium